26 Auckland Activities to Entertain You in Any Weather
In its prime harbour location, Auckland is known for it's changeable forecast. We've got you covered no matter what the weather is doing!
There's no easier way to get a feel for the city - just take a walk! Here are the main contenders to check out:
- Queen Street - main street of the city, from Karangahape Road down to the harbour
- Karangahape Road – also known as "K' Road", famous for its bars, clubs and shops
- Aotea Square – visit the square for crafts markets, rallies and arts festivals
- Britomart – the main public transport hub and surrounded by restaurants and bars
- The Viaduct – restaurants, bars, excellent fish n' chips, and home to the Americas’ cup yacht
- Mission Bay - grab an ice-cream, stroll along the promenade and discover the seaside charm of suburbs St Heliers Bay and Kohimarama
- Devonport - venture across the water to where sandy beaches, stylish shops and little eateries await
Get your adrenaline pumping and experience some of the city's most popular attractions and picturesque views, all at once.
- Visit Auckland’s Sky Tower for breathtaking views over the ‘City of Sails’. Try the Sky Walk or the Sky Jump if you’re feeling brave. Special ticket price of $26 per person available through our front desk.
- Walk across the iconic Auckland Harbour Bridge for stunning views of downtown, the Sky Tower, and Auckland Harbour
- Get the best views of the city from 16500ft at the North Island's highest drop zone with Skydive Auckland.
- Hop on the ferry for a scenic ride to the picturesque Waiheke Island and then zip through Waiheke's native bush on EcoZip Adventure's 200m dual flying fox ziplines.
- Take to the water with Explore for the ultimate America's Cup-style sailing experience.
There's a load of history, art, and experiences to be found, lots of it walking distance from YHA.
- Visit the Auckland Museum and Auckland Art Gallery for some of New Zealand’s best Maori and fine art collections. Save $5 at Auckland Museum by booking through our front desk.
- Take in some live music or live theatre, with heaps of options close to the hostel
- New Zealand National Maritime Museum – features New Zealand maritime history
- Go along with Eden Park Tours for a tour of Eden Park, the home of the All Blacks and one of the world’s most famous sporting venues.
- Visit the Auckland Zoo and Motat (Museum of Transport and Technology) in the gorgeous Western Springs domain.
You might not associate nature with our biggest city, but there are some awesome must-do areas to check out nearby:
- Take a walk up Mt Eden or One Tree Hill for views over the city
- Go off shore and visit the islands: Rangitoto, Waiheke, Great Barrier, Tiritiri Matangi, Rotoroa, Kawau and Motutapu.
- Something is always in bloom at the Auckland Botanical Gardens, a short drive from the CBD.
- Visit the Stardome Observatory & Planetarium and discover star clusters, gas cloud nebulae and star patterns that can only be seen from this latitude.
- Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World is a popular place to see New Zealand’s varied marine life up close and personal. Save $14 by booking at our front desk.
- Butterfly Creek, home of the crocs, has a unique collection of animals, insects and critters. It has brought the worlds most aggressive predator, the Australian Crocodile, to New Zealand.
- Cruise the harbour and take in some of the wildlife with Auckland Whale & Dolphin Watch. Save $32 by booking through reception!
- Trek out to Piha Beach or Muriwai for some intense surf beaches (caution required!)
- Hire a bike or tramping and camping gear from Adventure Capital to explore some of the fantastic regional parks within an hour's drive of the city - ask our team for their favourites!
YHA Bay of Islands, The Rock
YHA Bay of Islands, The Rock Cruise will take you on an aquatic adventure around the Bay of Islands; kayaking, swimming, target shooting, exploring and more on this overnight cruise.
YHA Bay Of Islands, Paihia
We're 5 minutes' walk to the golden sands of Paihia, with a great outdoor seating area, friendly hosts, and comfortable backpacker accommodation.
YHA Ahipara is part of a spacious holiday park including a purpose-built backpacker lodge, communal kitchen, lounge, and laundry facilities. Relax on-site or take a short stroll to Ninety Mile Beach.
Top 5 Must-Do Activities in Christchurch
Check out our top picks for what to do in Christchurch.
20 Activities to Keep You Busy in Rotorua
Rotorua is well known for it's geothermal wonders and adrenaline-pumping activities, but did you know it's also a haven for mountain biking? Check out some of our top activity picks.
Top 5 Must-Do Activities in Wellington
Ever wondered the best activities to do in Wellington? We've got you covered with our top 5 things to do in the coolest little capital!
DOC Short Walks
The Department of Conservation have a great selection of Short Walks to help you see the best of NZ in small doses. See some of our favourites.