Play It Safe
How YHA is keeping our guests safe in Alert Level 2.
Experienced Staff, Quality Systems and a Focus on Safety
Do NOT travel if you are unwell. Any guest presenting to the hostel that appears to be unwell will not be accommodated.
If you have any symptoms that may indicate possible infection please telephone Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453.
Hosting Guests Throughout Lockdown
YHA has been looking after guests in strict conditions since the start of the pandemic and is using thoroughly documented processes that keep our guests and our staff safe. We also activated our pandemic response plan at the initial report of the 'potential' for spread in New Zealand.
The following is a summary of our actions. A thorough Worksafe procedural document is in place at each hostel and communicated clearly to every staff member.
Guest Safety Measures
- Hand sanitizer will be available at reception and in guest kitchen dining areas.
- Occupancy is limited in multi-share rooms to ensure 2m distance between beds.
- 2 metre social distancing is enforced in public areas. While this is not a requirement under level 2 we want to maintain good social distancing habits.
- Signage is in place to ensure guests observe required protocols for cleaning of kitchen utensils, crockery and cutlery etc after use.
- Signage is in place to ensure guests observe required hygiene protocols such as hand washing, sneezing etc.
- Contact details for all guests including phone number, residential address and email address will be recorded and stored in our systems for the purposes of contact tracing should there be a localised outbreak. Pens are to be sanitized following use by each guest.
- Guests will be provided with hostel guidelines for their stay.
- No cash payments will be accepted.
- Guests will also sign in and out of the control register when entering or leaving the hostel.
- Any symptoms of illness are to be reported to hostel management and General Manager, Hostel Operations immediately.
- Any cases of reported illness are to be referred to Covid19 Healthline immediately.
Staff Safety Measures
- Staff will work within their hostel bubbles.
- 2 metre social distancing continued for all staff.
- Staff to minimise work in public areas when guests present.
- Personal Protective Equipment for staff includes hand sanitizer, disposable gloves and face masks.
- Signage in place to ensure staff observe required hygiene protocols such as hand washing, sneezing etc.
- Any symptoms of illness to be reported to hostel management and General Manager, Hostel Operations immediately.
- Any symptoms of family / bubble illness to be reported to hostel management and General Manager, Hostel Operations immediately.
- Any cases of reported illness to be referred to Covid19 Health line immediately.
- Staff may not receive non work-related visitors in the workplace.
The YHA hostels in use are large buildings and we will maintain a manageable occupancy level in order to facilitate safe social distancing practices.
Additional Cleaning Measures
- Guests will be required to change own linen with linen left outside guest door.
- For guests staying longer than 5 days, guest rooms will be serviced once per week only when guest not in room or guests may clean their own room.
- Guest key cards to be sanitized immediately after checkout.
- Staff will be frequently cleaning high touch surfaces such as desks, counters, table tops, telephones, bedside tables, light switches, door handles, bannisters, keyboards, TV remotes every 4 hours.
- Specific additional cleaning instructions have been issued to all staff to manage their safety and avoid cross contamination through cleaning processes.
- Specific instructions have been issued related to the handling and cleaning of laundry including baskets and containers used to collect and distribute laundry
Contractors and Suppliers
- All contractors will comply with YHA's onsite requirements for complying with level 2 regulations
- All contractors will be periodically monitored to ensure compliance
- Supplies and packages delivered will be cleaned on arrival.
We continue to monitor developments and updates from the Ministry of Health and New Zealand Government.
YHA New Zealand is a not-for-profit with a mission to enrich peoples understanding of and connect with each other, the environment and New Zealand. While we can't all travel where we want right now, we're still be doing our best to keep building connections.
As a not-for-profit we rely on bookings to fulfill our mission. With borders understandably closed right now our ability to do so is significantly reduced. You can help us keep connecting people by continuing to plan and book your future travel, purchasing a YHA membership, or donating to YHA.
We are incredibly grateful for your ongoing support and we can't wait to welcome you back to our corner of the world.