Play It Safe
How YHA is keeping our guests safe in Alert Level 1.
Experienced Staff, Quality Systems and a Focus on Safety
Do NOT travel if you are unwell. Any guest presenting to the hostel that appears to be unwell will not be accommodated.
If you have any symptoms that may indicate possible infection please telephone Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453.
Your safety, the safety of our staff and all those who work with or visit YHA are the top priority for us.
The following is a summary of our actions.
The key points here are - regular washing of hands, follow the instructions set out in the hostels, maintain appropriate social distances even in this low risk environment, do not travel if you are unwell and continue to be kind.
Guest Safety Measures
- Contact details for all guests including phone number, residential address and email address will be recorded and stored in our systems for the purposes of contact tracing should there be a localised outbreak. Pens are to be sanitized following use by each guest.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at reception and in guest kitchen dining areas.
- Signage is in place to help guests understand their responsibilities with respect to using our facilities.
Staff Safety Measures
- You may see staff wearing PPE which is entirely at their discretion.
- All staff follow the same rules as guests with respect to hygiene protocols.
- Any symptoms of personal or family illness are reported to hostel management and General Manager, Hostel Operations immediately to ensure potentially infectious staff do not come to work.
Additional Cleaning Measures
- Guest key cards to be sanitized immediately after checkout.
- Staff will be frequently cleaning high touch surfaces such as desks, counters, table tops, telephones, bedside tables, light switches, door handles, bannisters, keyboards, TV remotes.
- Staff have been trained to manage their safety and avoid cross contamination through cleaning processes.
- New procedures are in place for cleaning laundry including baskets and containers used to collect and distribute laundry
- For guests staying longer than 5 days, guest rooms will be serviced once per week only when guest not in room or guests may clean their own room.
We continue to monitor developments and updates from the Ministry of Health and New Zealand Government.
YHA New Zealand is a not-for-profit with a mission to enrich peoples understanding of and connect with each other, the environment and New Zealand. While we can't all travel where we want right now, we're still be doing our best to keep building connections.
As a not-for-profit we rely on bookings to fulfill our mission. With borders understandably closed right now our ability to do so is significantly reduced. You can help us keep connecting people by continuing to plan and book your future travel, purchasing a YHA membership, or donating to YHA.
We are incredibly grateful for your ongoing support and we can't wait to welcome you back to our corner of the world.