We're committed to both environmental sustainability and responsible tourism, which means operating in a sustainable way is pretty important to us. It's a way of thinking for all our staff, and we encourage our guests to think about it too.
YHA New Zealand was founded on a love and appreciation for the outdoors, so we'd like to protect those same outdoor spaces for years to come. We've got a few environmental initiatives on the go across our network; you can read more about them below.
YHA is committed to sustainable development, which means meeting the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
We practice this through triple bottom line reporting, which considers our social, environmental and economic performance:
- Ensuring YHA’s activities complement and advance the society in which it operates.
- Ensuring YHA staff are participating in a learning and development environment that inspires them to service excellence.
- Maintaining a commitment to a safe and healthy work environment which respects, supports and develops staff.
- Providing hostel accommodation experiences to guests which encourage interpersonal, educational and cross-cultural experiences.
- Participating in local communities so that hostels contribute to the social fabric of those communities.
- Minimising YHA’s impact on climate change by reducing the carbon footprint of all aspects of operations
- Developing and operating hostels in accordance with HI’s Sustainability Charter.
- Contributing to and/or co-ordinating specific environmental projects, both nationally and in the local community.
- Ensuring YHA’s financial viability into the future.
- Embracing the values of sustainability in making financial and business decisions.
- Committing resources and finance in support of triple bottom line activity and projects.
- Actively encouraging YHA’s suppliers and business partners to adopt sustainable business practices.