We're committed to both environmental sustainability and responsible tourism, which means sustainability is pretty important to us. It's a way of thinking for all our staff, and we encourage our guests to think about it too.
YHA New Zealand was founded on a love and appreciation for the outdoors, so we'd like to protect those same outdoor spaces for years to come. We've got a few environmental initiatives on the go across our network; you can read more about them below.
YHA is committed to sustainable development, which means meeting the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
We practice this through triple bottom line reporting, which considers our social, environmental and economic performance:
- Maintaining a commitment to a work environment which respects, supports and develops staff.
- Providing hostel accommodation experiences which encourage interpersonal, educational and cross-cultural experiences.
- Participating in local communities so that hostels contribute to the social fabric of those communities.
- Maintaining environmental practices which minimise the impact of YHA's operational activities on the environment.
- Developing and maintaining hostels as Sustainable Living Centres.
- Contributing to and/or coordinating specific environmental projects, both nationally and in the local community.
- Embracing the values of sustainability in making financial and business decisions.
- Committing resources and finance in support of triple bottom line activity and projects.
- Actively encouraging YHA's suppliers and business partners to adopt sustainable business practices.