Weekend Road-Tripping in New Zealand
We've put together a helpful guide for making the most of your weekends in 2020! All of our tip-top advice, a few things to keep in mind and even some possible route ideas, all in one place!
1. Make a Plan
If you want it to be "one for the books" you need to start with a solid plan.
- Pick your key locations you'll stay in overnight Friday, Saturday
- You want to ensure the drive home Sunday isn't ridiculously long
- A few musts that you definitely want to see or do along the way
- Always estimate routes to take longer than expected to avoid rushing
- Let someone else know what your plan is and when you expect to be home
2. Book Ahead
Keep in mind that beds tend to sell out pretty quickly! It pays to be organised.
- Count the troops to see how many beds you'll need
- Decide if you are staying in either dorm or private rooms
- Finalise your destinations and book your hostels!
A $25 Membership saves you 10% per bed, per night and gives you a couple thousand other discounts. After all the exploring you'll be doing in 2020, it'll add up quick! Members get 10% off Interislander bookings too!
Private rooms: You can book your entire group into a dorm filling all the beds, making it private or there is the option when booking to privatise a whole room even if you don't fill all the beds.
3. Prep the Vehicle
Waiting for roadside assistance isn't where you want to be on a Friday night. Remember to:
- Clean out your car not forgetting the windscreen
- Check under the hood for oil and water levels
- Fill that tank!
- Pump up those tyres!
- Grab a spare key (you'll thank us later...)
4. Grab the Essentials
The most crucial list on here! We'll leave you to rank these in importance...
5. Go Forth and Explore!
This is the part where you put the key in the ignition and start your adventure!
- Grab a FREE YHA Map and a pen to mark out your journey!
- Talk to other travellers in our hostels and share travel tips
- Ask reception staff where to eat or what deals you score on local activities!
- Enjoy Aotearoa and remember to be a responsible traveller!
South Island ex Christchurch
Christchurch (3h) - Lake Tekapo (3h) - Queenstown (6h return)
They don't call it the Adventure Capital of the world for nothing! You can squeeze a lot of thrills into a single weekend!
North Island ex Auckland
YHA Wanaka's central location boasts views of the lake and mountains. Cosy and sociable, this is the ideal backpacker hostel for discovering all of Wanaka's activities and adventures.
YHA Franz Josef
Explore glaciers, lakes, and mountains from YHA Franz Josef, a backpacker hostel that sits right on the edge of the West Coast rainforest and is perfectly cosy after a day at the glacier.
YHA Rotorua offers accommodation with shared facilities for families, groups and backpackers opposite geothermal park Kuirau Park. Free parking, full kitchen, large shared lounge.
12 Must-Do Things in Queenstown
YHA has two quality budget hostels in Queenstown and a whole bunch of inspiration for your next trip to the adventure capital of New Zealand.
Photos of Franz Josef
If you've ever wondered why you should visit Franz Josef, this is it! Featuring a walk up to and scenic flight over the glaciers, Lake Matheson, and Lake Mapourika.
Northland Road Trip
Head to the Winterless North to catch some rays any time of year. This itinerary shows off some of Northland's highlights.
Central North Road Trip
We've put together the ultimate Central Plateau road trip to show just how much cool stuff is packed into the area!