Car + Beds Packages
Discover New Zealand’s North and South Islands at your own pace and in the vehicle of your choice. YHA New Zealand makes planning your self-drive tour Easy As with this Car & Accommodation package!
Here’s what you do. Choose the vehicle that suits you from our comprehensive list and tell us how many nights you want to stay with YHA. It’s as easy as that!
We work with Omega Rental Cars to offer affordable rental car packages for travellers on a budget. Omega Rental Cars operates one of the largest independent New Zealand car rental networks with depots in Auckland, Wellington, Picton, Nelson, Christchurch and Queenstown.
Please note car availability is very limited over the summer months, please contact us to confirm availability during this time.
Between November 1 2014 and April 6 2015 - there is a minimum one way hire of 14 days required.
If exchanging cars between North and South Islands a minimum 7 day hire in each island is required.
For more car types or if you are travelling with more than 5 people, please contact us for a quote.
Each package includes:
1. Rental Car
- Choose from the vehicle type that suits you and the number of hire days you require (we are able to add additional days car hire to the package if required)
- Unlimited kilometres plus comprehensive insurance included
2. YHA Accommodation Vouchers
- Choose from 5, 7, 10, 15 or 20 nights accommodation. We have included less accommodation nights than car hire days to give you greater freedom. If you wish to spend additional nights at YHA hostels, just pay the hostel upon check in
- Package prices are based on multi-share accommodation. If you wish to stay in a private or family room, please contact us with your intended itinerary for a quote - the cost will depend on which hostels you stay at.
- YHA Accommodation Vouchers are valid for 6 months
- If you wish for us to pre-book all your accommodation, an additional booking fee of NZ$25.00 applies
3. Free Stuff!
- FREE 24 Hour Roadside Service
- FREE Touring Maps
- FREE Seats for Children
- FREE Additional Driver
- FREE GPS Navigation System (only available March – September and subject to availability)
If you need to include airport transfers and/or ferry transfers with your package, just let us know and we can add it to your package for an extra charge.
Rates and Insurance
The rental car package price includes unlimited kilometres, Goods & Services tax (GST at 15%) and comprehensive insurance. The insurance is subject to a NZ$1500.00 excess in the event of any accident. If you wish to purchase full car rental insurance this is available for an additional NZ$12.00 per day (NZ$15.00 per day for SUV), this will reduce your liability to zero. This is payable direct to Omega Car Rentals when the hire begins.
Please note - a bond is also required at the start of your car hire. You can pay for this using cash or a debit card, the money will be refunded when the car is returned provided there is no damage. Alternatively, you can leave your credit card details with Omega and they will only charge your card in case of an accident.
You must be over 21 years of age and hold either a full international, national or overseas driver's licence. This needs to be presented when you pick up your vehicle. There is no extra charge for additional drivers.
Terms and Conditions
- Cancellations received at least 7 days prior to the proposed date of arrival in New Zealand will be entitled to a refund less a cancellation fee of NZ$50.00 per person.
- Cancellations received in the period which is between 2 and 7 days prior to the proposed date of arrival in New Zealand shall be entitled to a refund less a cancellation fee of NZ$100.00 per person.
- Cancellations received less than 48 hours prior to the proposed date of arrival in New Zealand shall not be entitled to a refund.
- Once the package has commenced, no portion of the package is refundable for whatever reason.
Click here to view our full package terms and conditions.
Please allow 2 to 4 working days for packages to be processed and documents to be posted.