YHA’s commitment to sustainability originates in our charitable aims and objects and described in our sustainability policy.
YHA is committed to sustainable development, which is defined as:
- Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
YHA New Zealand expresses this commitment through triple bottom line reporting, which considers the social, environmental and economic performance of the Association.
- Maintaining a commitment to a work environment which respects, supports and develops staff.
- Providing hostel accommodation experiences which encourage interpersonal, educational and cross-cultural experiences.
- Participating in local communities so that hostels contribute to the social fabric of those communities.
- Maintaining environmental practices which minimise the impact of YHA's operational activities on the environment.
- Developing and maintaining hostels as Sustainable Living Centres.
- Contributing to and/or coordinating specific environmental projects, both nationally and in the local community.
- Embracing the values of sustainability in making financial and business decisions.
- Committing resources and finance in support of triple bottom line activity and projects.
- Actively encouraging YHA's suppliers and business partners to adopt sustainable business practices.