YHA Member Weekends
Member Weekends were established to provide an opportunity for members to engage with National Board and senior staff.
Weekends are organised throughout the year, spread across both the North and South Islands. Member Weekends are open to all domestic members of YHA New Zealand.
These weekend events provide a fun weekend away with other members from around New Zealand and the opportunity to meet with YHA's National Board and senior staff.
Member Weekends usually include:
- Discounted accommodation for those who stay at the hostel on both Friday and Saturday nights.
- Breakfast which is provided on Saturday and Sunday, and a meal on Saturday evening. All other meals over the weekend are self-catering.
- The local Branch hosts the weekend and suggests suitable activities. Sometimes these are offered at a discount to members. The Branch also assists with the catering arrangements.
- Over the weekend there is a Forum which is hosted by representatives of the National Board and attended by senior staff. The purpose of the Forum is for the Board to engage and develop a positive relationship with Branches and members. This helps to ensure that members are up-to-date with current developments within the Association, and that the Board has the opportunity to hear and consider member perspectives.
Throughout 2014 we will hold the following members' weekends:
Friday 23 May - Sunday 25 May 2014 - Wanaka
Friday 17 October - Sunday 19 October 2014 - Wellington (Incorporating the AGM)
Wanaka Members' Weekend 23 - 25 May 2014
YHA is pleased to announce that our next Members’ Weekend will be held in Wanaka.
The majority of the National Board is planning to attend this event and Coral Laughton, the Chair, will host a National Board Forum on Saturday evening. At the forum, members have the opportunity to discuss current topics with Board members and the Chief Executive and hear up-to-date information on developments within YHA.
Accommodation is available at YHA Wanaka and is offered at 50% discount to those who stay both Friday and Saturday nights (for domestic YHA members).
To take advantage of this great offer, contact the hostel directly to book your bed. Remember to mention the members' weekend in order to qualify for this discount.
To promote fellowship amongst those attending this weekend, Saturday and Sunday breakfast and the evening meal on Saturday will be provided at no cost. All other catering will be at your own arrangement.
Saturday Night - Movie Night
At 5.30pm head to Cinema Paradiso, which is a movie theatre just down the road from the hostel. This will be the venue for the Board Forum and your opportunity to ask questions of the National Board and Chief Executive.
Following this meeting we will have a private screening of a movie (yet to be chosen). At interval, dinner will be provided. Lonely Planet travel guide lists this Wanaka cinema as a Must Do! The homemade cookies and ice cream at the old fashioned intermission are a must as well!
Entry to the movie, popcorn, a light dinner and cookies or ice-cream for dessert will be provided free of charge, to all YHA domestic members who register for the members weekend and attend this forum.
Some suggestions to fill your free time during the weekend
A visit to Lake Wanaka wouldn't be complete without getting out and going for at least one short walk - but why stop there? With over 750km of tracks in the area you will be spoilt for choice. The easiest option, however, is to start in town and head around the lake in either direction for as long as you want.
Unique and quirky, weird and wonderful, Wanaka has some great attractions to have some fun in. Puzzling World is a must for all ages and the Transport & Toy Museum, Warbirds and Wheels, and Have a Shot are also worth a visit.
Lake Wanaka Cruise and Island Walk – 40% discount
Eco Wanaka has kindly offered us a group discount for their
Lake Wanaka Cruise and Island Walk.
This tour retails at around $200 but for just $122 you can enjoy a cruise to Mou Waho Island nature reserve, which is a predator–free home to the rare flightless Buff Weka.
On arriving on the island you will be taken on a guided bush walk, which takes you up to reveal the islands secret – a lake right on top of the island! Or if you prefer, bring a picnic and relax on the beach. Plant a native tree as part of your eco-experience. This is a unique opportunity to give back to this special island and New Zealand’s environment.
Trip departs on Saturday 9am or 1.30pm and takes around 3.5 – 4 hours. Total walking time is one hour and only an average fitness is required. Minimum numbers apply.
What do you need to do now?
If you are interested in attending this great weekend away you need to:
- Contact the hostel and book your bed. Phone: 03 443 1880
- Email the National Secretary to register for the weekend at email@example.com.
- Remember to mention any special dietary requirements you may have in your email.
- Indicate your interest for the cruise and island walk before 30 April by emailing the national secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.