Low Carbon Traveller
Are you planning to cycle or hike your way around New Zealand totally unsupported? (Without the aid of a support vehicle, public transport or transfers?)
If your answer to the above question is YES then you are a YHA Low Carbon Traveller and qualify for a discount.
Staying at any one of YHA’s network of 17 managed hostels* has just gotten cheaper if you are a cyclist or tramper. It’s part of YHA’s Retro Revival designed to support the carbon-busting efforts of those travellers who travel sustainably on self-supported hiking or cycle touring trips around New Zealand.
Arrive at any participating YHA hostel* on foot or by bike, whether it’s 100kms or 1000kms away, and you’ll be rewarded with what equates to 32.5% off the standard overnight rate per person per night (25% off member rates).
YHA would like to see more people travelling sustainably and believes if travellers can go the extra mile to make the effort for the environment, YHA can reciprocate by making life a little bit easier through lower costs.
Be warned though, you can’t just hop on a bike 20 meters down the road and expect to get this great discount – hostels are only accepting genuine travellers who are self-supported. That means no support vehicles, buses or shuttle transfers.
- The Low Carbon Traveller discount is valid for YHA members only.
Self supported cyclist:
- Self-supported means that the guest must be travelling without use of a support vehicle, shuttles, transfers or bus connections from their start to check-in of each day.
- Discounted rate is available for each night of your stay.
- To take advantage of this offer, bookings must be made directly with the hostels and the discount must be claimed at time of stay. The discount does not apply to bookings made on the YHA website or any 3rd party website.
- This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offer, vouchers or package products.
- YHA New Zealand reserves the right to change the special discounted rates from time to time.
Self supported tramper:
- Self-supported means that the guest must be travelling without use of a support vehicle, shuttles, transfers or bus connections.
- If you are tramping from hostel to hostel throughout NZ you must apply in writing for a letter of approval prior to travel. In this application please include details such as kit list, personal web page or blog detailing your plans for your trip.
- You must present your letter of approval to the staff at check-in to enable them to provide you with discounted accommodation.
- To take advantage of this offer, bookings must be made directly with the hostel and the discount must be claimed at time of stay. The discount does not apply to bookings made on the YHA website or any 3rd party website.
- This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offer.
- Rates are subject to change from property to property and season to season.
* Participating hostels:
To apply for this discount, please contact the Customer Services Team by email or phone 0800 278 299.