Schools & Youth Groups
We understand organising a group trip can be time consuming and difficult, especially when travelling with under 18's and even more so if you're planning to stay in more than one location.
YHA New Zealand has the hostels and the expertise to help.
Why book your group with us?
- Our Groups Coordinators are fast and reliable
- We can work within your budget
- We offer a wide selection of accommodation from shared dormitory to private rooms, with and without ensuites
- We can book all of your land-based transport as well as activities: from buses to pizza toppings, we’ve got you covered
- Our service is free
Safety and Security
YHA can guarantee that your group’s shared rooms will be exclusive to you and that all bedding is provided. For school and youth groups there must be one adult leader of each sex if it is a mixed party in a ratio of 1:10. For school groups YHA accepts teaching assistants, parents or guardians as sub-leaders, where there is a qualified leader assigned to each gender.
YHA’s commitment to your group safety:
- YHA will take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety and security of your group and property.
- A member of staff will be available 24 hours a day
- We operate strict close-down procedures and fire security checks every night
- The hostel manager will brief the group leaders on safety and security
- YHA will assist with providing risk assessment information on request
Please note: YHA takes the health, safety and welfare of all customers, staff and volunteers seriously. Responsibility for the group rests with the Group Leaders. YHA staff cannot act ‘in loco parentis’ but will report inappropriate behaviour to Group Leaders for action.
Each YHA has a ‘YHA Crisis Management Plan’ available on request from the hostel manager. The document identifies potential risks to all site areas along with measures in place to reduce or remove the risk. It also offers you the option to request copies of forms such as the policy statement, first aid details, recruitment and training policies, and access audit information.
Organising your group
How else do we make it easy to organise your group? Find out more about organising meals, activities and transport, and meet our group hostels.
Read our latest Groups Brochure online or email our Groups Coordinators for a physical copy to be sent to you.
Stuck for ideas of where to go and what to do? YHA covers most popular locations throughout New Zealand. Visit our activities grid for group activity ideas.